BPU Customers, be on high alert!
Scammers are once again targeting customers in McPherson. DON’T FALL FOR IT!
Here is the latest report:
McPherson BPU just received a call from a customer who had just received a call from someone acting as if they were from Evergy. The scammer called the customer citing a “work order for disconnect” and was “calling to verify our customer’s address”. The customer did the right thing and told the scammer that he would not provide him with any information, but would call his local utility directly.
If anyone ever calls and claims to be with the McPherson Board of Public Utilities (or any other Electric or Water Utility), and demands payment immediately, or asks for sensitive information HANG UP and call the BPU at (620) 245-2515 to inquire about the situation.
Be aware and remember these tips:
• Never give anyone personal information, such as your social security number (including the numbers on the back of your social security card), bank account number or credit card number and never purchase and send a prepaid card to someone, unless you initiated the conversation and you are confident the transaction is legitimate.
• If you receive a call from someone claiming to be with your utility company asking for payment, hang up and call the utility’s customer service number. BPU customers can email us or call (620) 245-2515.
• If you have already provided information to someone making this offer, contact your bank and the three national credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion, immediately.
• If someone pressures you to provide personal or financial information, hang up right away. Notify the police department at (620) 245-1200.
• Check on elderly relatives and friends, often targets of such schemes, to make sure they have not fallen victim to this fraud.