Possible Scam! BPU Customers, be on high alert!
Today, May 18th, the BPU received two calls stating that someone came to their doors and told them they were partnering with BPU to let customers know they were eligible for solar panels paid for by a federal grant. To make the determination, they asked to collect personal information. Both of these customers were suspicious, so they called us to verify. The McPherson BPU is not partnering with any solar panel providers.
Because they are stating the BPU is partnering with them on this initiative is cause for concern. Scammers are incredibly active right now, so we must be on alert.
If anyone ever calls and claims to be with the McPherson Board of Public Utilities, and demands payment immediately, HANG UP and call the BPU at (620) 245-2515 to ask questions about anyone contacting you about your bill or claiming to be from the McPherson BPU.
Be aware and remember these tips:
• Never give anyone personal information, such as your social security number (including the numbers on the back of your social security card), bank account number, or credit card number and never purchase and send a prepaid card to someone unless you initiated the conversation and you are confident the transaction is legitimate.
• If you receive a call from someone claiming to be with your utility company asking for payment, hang up and call the utility’s customer service number. BPU customers can email us or call (620) 245-2515.
• If you have already provided information to someone making this offer, contact your bank and the three national credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion, immediately.
• If someone pressures you to provide personal or financial information, hang up immediately. Notify the police department at (620) 245-1200.
• Check on elderly relatives and friends, often targets of such schemes, to ensure they have not fallen victim to this fraud.