The McPherson Board of Public Utilities is currently accepting applications for the position of Water
Worker I in our Water Distribution Department.
Education and Experience Required
-High school diploma
-Possession of a valid Kansas driver’s license
-Maintain a valid CDL or able to obtain one within six months of employment.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Wears BPU approved apparel including uniforms.
- Maintains safe drinking water for the citizens of McPherson and for fire protection.
- Maintains and repairs all components of the water distribution system.
- Assists with repairing and installing city water service and water main lines.
- Repairs water main breaks and checks for water leaks.
- Operates department equipment and vehicles including trucks, backhoes, loaders, jack hammer, power tools, and other equipment.
- Inspects and maintains department vehicles and equipment.
- Cleans and disinfects water mains and services.
- Locates valves for the Valve Maintenance Program and operates valves as directed.
- Locates water mains and services for contractors and construction projects.
- Attends training seminars and workshops.
- Interprets written instructions, blueprints, schematics, and manuals.
- Performs manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, bending, kneeling, climbing.
- Acknowledges some adverse working conditions may exist including, but not limited to exposure to work in confined spaces, heights, heavy machinery, excessive noise, and all types of weather conditions.
- Some understanding of backflow prevention.
- Position requires rotating on call duty.
- Person must be able to diagnose system problems and perform appropriate remedial action.
- Ability to be self-directing.
- Class I or Class II Water Operator Certificate desirable.
- Responds to trouble calls and assists or directs the restoration of water service.
- Maintains a valid CDL or is able to obtain one within six months of employment.
- Ability to be punctual and regular in attendance.
Salary Range: $21.93 to $29.24 – Based on experience and qualifications. Any person hired in this position shall reside within the designated residency limits of the BPU.
In addition to a completed application, applicants will need to submit a current resume with references.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Although it is not required, we prefer candidates to have achieved their National Career Readiness Certification or their Kansas WorkReady Certification.
Please note: A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the application form. A fillable application form can be found at www.mcphersonpower.com under About the BPU, Careers tab. The completed application and resume should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
The McPherson Board of Public Utilities is an equal opportunity employer.