BOARD OF PUBLIC UTILITIES
Position Title: Water Worker I
Reports to: Superintendent Water Distribution
Under the supervision of the Superintendent of Water Distribution and Crew Chief, this position assists with providing clean and potable drinking water to the citizens of McPherson, and assists with the maintenance and operation of the water distribution system. This employee should possess a strong mechanical aptitude, effective communication, organizational and public relation skills. Any person employed in this position shall reside within the designated residency limits of the BPU.
Education and Experience
A high school diploma and possession of a valid Kansas driver’s license is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Wears BPU approved apparel including uniforms.
- Maintains safe drinking water for the citizens of McPherson and for fire protection.
- Maintains and repairs all components of the water distribution system.
- Assists with repairing and installing city water service and water main lines
- Repairs water main breaks and checks for water leaks
- Operates department equipment and vehicles including trucks, backhoes, loaders, jack hammer, power tools, and other equipment.
- Inspects and maintains department vehicles and equipment.
- Cleans and disinfects water mains and services.
- Locates valves for the Valve Maintenance Program and operates valves as directed.
- Locates water mains and services for contractors and construction projects
- Attends training seminars and workshops.
- Interprets written instructions, blueprints, schematics and manuals.
- Performs manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, bending, kneeling, climbing;
- Acknowledges some adverse working conditions may exist including, but not limited to: exposure to work in confined spaces, heights, heavy machinery, excessive noise, and all types of weather conditions.
- Some understanding of backflow prevention.
- Position requires rotating on call duty.
- Person must be able to diagnose system problems and perform appropriate remedial action.
- Ability to be self-directing.
- Class I or Class II Water Operator Certificate desirable.
- Responds to trouble calls and assists or directs the restoration of water service.
- Maintains a valid CDL or is able to obtain one within six months of employment.
- Ability to be punctual and regular in attendance.
- Assists other departments as the need arises.
- Provides snow and ice removal during inclement weather.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
The specific statements shown in this description are not intended to be all inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.