The McPherson Board of Public Utilities is currently accepting applications for the position of Project Engineer in our Administration Department.
Education and Experience Required
-Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering
-Minimum of 5+ years design and project engineering
experience in the utility business
-Professional engineering license preferred
-Maintain a valid Kansas driver’s license
This position will be responsible for the execution and administration of large-scale engineering projects, utilizing skills to demonstrate creativity, foresight, and mature engineering judgment. Successful applicant will work with design teams involved with conceptual, preliminary, and final design of a range of projects typically found in an electric and water utility. The Project Engineer will report to the BPU General Manager and the Assistant General Manager. Any person hired in this position shall reside within the designated residency limits of the BPU.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Skill to lead, design, and manage water and electric projects with minimal oversite.
- Knowledge of electrical substations and control systems; including SCADA and relay protection schemes, is preferred.
- Ability to understand and comply with NERC and other industry standards.
- Review, examine, and evaluate contract language and supply scopes.
- Generate schedules, work scopes, and all administrative requirements to efficiently start and complete projects to ensure timely completion and forecast deviations to management.
- Conduct pre and post project kick off and closure meetings.
- Ensures timely completion of project scope of work details and informs management of any deviations across departments and contractors.
- Manage all required resources to keep projects properly staffed, on time, and within budget.
- Manage project payment milestones.
- Tracks labor, material, subcontracts, equipment, and other job costs to ensure accurate cost projections and provide inputs for budget development.
- Interface on a professional level with other departments, seen as part of the senior leadership team.
- May perform manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, bending, kneeling, climbing and operate departmental equipment.
- Adheres to safety standards and best practices when working conditions require extreme weather conditions, confined space, heights, heavy machinery, excessive noise, excavation, Arc Flash, etc.
In addition to a completed application, applicants will need to submit a current resume with references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please note: A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the application form. A fillable application form can be found at www.mcphersonpower.com under About the BPU, Careers tab. The completed application and resume should be submitted to email@example.com
The McPherson Board of Public Utilities is an equal opportunity employer.